DIYAPASON-L Digest #77 - Thursday, April 13, 2000
 
organ progress
  by "Kelvin Smith" <KelvinSmith@untraveledroad.com>
 

(back) Subject: organ progress From: "Kelvin Smith" <KelvinSmith@untraveledroad.com> Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:27:52 -0600   Hello all,   The word is that my new blower is shipping today and should arrive mid = next week! (I posted this previously, but my old 2 hp blower's motor gave out back in January.) I tried very diligently to find a used replacement without luck. Finally impatience won out over frugality and I ordered a = new 5 hp blower from Schantz's blower division (Zephyr). I think it was less than a month ago that I ordered it and they hurried it for me, and are shipping it two weeks ahead of what they promised.   In the mean time I made a some improvements. I had the static regulator in the middle of the organ loft and I have moved this under the floor of the loft, above where the blower will sit. From there the windlines will go under the floor to each of the divisional regulators. I had quite a bit of noise from the blower coming into the static regulator. This should be = much improved now. The old blower was also just open to the garage and took its air from there. I have built an enclosure around the blower and regulator and provided a path for air to come from the loft down into the blower room. I put the intake valve from my old blower over this hole so it will open when air is needed and be closed otherwise. There will be a baffle also to absorb noise which might come back up. I am hoping that this all will eliminate most of the noise from the blower in the organ room. (Now for those air leaks.)   I also have to do some rewiring to provide for the larger electrical demands. As a result, I am going to use the on/off switch on the new console, even though the old console will be the one playing for a few months still. Some other things in the wiring were probably not quite up = to snuff; I'm going to try to make it more professional looking.   With the new blower in place, I will still have just the same 28 ranks playing I had previously. In about a month I should finally be able to get underway with the new organ control system, which I am going to get from Artisan Instruments. That will be installed into the new console and will give me a practical way to get all the unit chests wired up, bringing the total to 36 ranks.   Now I have my work cut out for me, to get all the windlines done in the next week!   Kelvin