PipeChat Digest #11 - Saturday, July 26, 1997
gan in London available for practice .
        by Kenneth O. Woods <kow987@dice.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil>
me pipe organ??
        by bruce cornely <cremona84000@webtv.net>
gan in London available for practice .
        by bruce cornely <cremona84000@webtv.net>
me pipe organ??
        by Wilkinson, Dan <wilkinson@mdaw.mdc.com>
me pipe organ??
        by Gregory F. Klingler <klingler@IDT.NET>
me pipe organ??
        by KARL W KELLER <kwkeller@juno.com>
me pipe organ??
        by <NFexec@aol.com>
pe organ supporting frame
        by <RMaryman@aol.com>
pic postings (Was:  Home pipe organ??)
        by Stuart Frankel <sqf4696@is2.nyu.edu>
me pipe organ??
        by bruce cornely <cremona84000@webtv.net>
ectronics and Pipes Together??
        by <SCoonrod@aol.com>
f-topic postings (Was:  Home pipe organ??)
        by KARL W KELLER <kwkeller@juno.com>
me pipe organ??
        by <Ronnymn@aol.com>
f-topic postings (Was:  Home pipe organ??)
        by Stuart Frankel <sqf4696@is2.nyu.edu>
f-topic postings (Was:  Home pipe organ??)
        by <MFulk70776@aol.com>
f-topic postings (Was:  Home pipe organ??)
        by David Scribner <david@blackiris.com>
aker placement for E-organs
        by Paul F. Stapel <pstapel@spectra.net>
 


(back) Subject: Re: Organ in London available for practice . From: kow987@dice.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil (Kenneth O. Woods) Date: Fri, 25 Jul 97 14:26:45 EST   > 3m AEolian Skinner. I made an appointment with the pastor (according > to church policy) and was told by him that they allowed only their > organist to use the organ. Actually a wicked thought has crossed my mind. I'm to play a wedding in Sept and I may suggest they have the wedding in the church with the pipe organ I was denied practice on. It has a better aisle for weddings than ours anyway!   -- Kenneth O. Woods kow987@dice.crane.navy.mil  
(back) Subject: RE: Home pipe organ?? From: cremona84000@webtv.net (bruce cornely) Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:42:14 -0400 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT   Do you think that having the speakers removed and partially "obstructed" improves the sound, sort of like the semi-buried high pressure romantic organs. I have not been pleased with the "presence" of the new electronics with the speakers on the wall "in your face".     Bruce Cornely o o o o o ______________ o o o o o o o o o ______________ o o o o o o o o o ______________ o o o o o ====================================  
(back) Subject: Re: Organ in London available for practice . From: cremona84000@webtv.net (bruce cornely) Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:50:21 -0400 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT   Shame on you Kenneth...... WELL DONE!!!     Bruce Cornely o o o o o ______________ o o o o o o o o o ______________ o o o o o o o o o ______________ o o o o o ====================================  
(back) Subject: RE: Home pipe organ?? From: "Wilkinson, Dan" <wilkinson@mdaw.mdc.com> Date: 25 Jul 1997 13:01:56 U   I definitely think that with my speakers at the top of the stairs makes things much better. In fact, a friend has a 317 as well and we took the Tibia speaker and the Main speaker and put them around the corner in the dining room. The dining room is heavily draped and once we revoiced and re-regulated the organ it sounds wonderful. It very very important, IMHO, that the speakers be removed from being right in your face or at your back.   Dan Wilkinson _______________________________________________________________________________ From: PipeChat on Fri, Jul 25, 1997 12:43 PM Subject: RE: Home pipe organ?? To: PipeChat   Do you think that having the speakers removed and partially "obstructed" improves the sound, sort of like the semi-buried high pressure romantic organs. I have not been pleased with the "presence" of the new electronics with the speakers on the wall "in your face".     Bruce Cornely o o o o o ______________ o o o o o o o o o ______________ o o o o o o o o o ______________ o o o o o ====================================   "Pipe Up and Be Heard!" PipeChat: A discussion List for pipe/digital organs & related topics HOMEPAGE : http://www.pipechat.org List: mailto:pipechat@pipechat.org Administration: mailto:admin@pipechat.org Subscribe/Unsubscribe: mailto:requests@pipechat.org     ------------------ RFC822 Header Follows ------------------ Received: by mdaw.mdc.com with ADMIN;25 Jul 1997 12:41:05 U Received: from webtv.net by pipechat.org with SMTP; Fri, 25 Jul 97 14:42:23 -0500 Message-Id: <199707251942.MAA05830@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> From: cremona84000@webtv.net (bruce cornely) Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:42:14 -0400 To: pipechat@pipechat.org (PipeChat) Subject: RE: Home pipe organ?? Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT MIME-Version: 1.0 (WebTV) Reply-To: PipeChat <pipechat@pipechat.org> Return-Path: <pipechat@pipechat.org> Sender: <pipechat@pipechat.org> Precedence: Bulk List-Software: LetterRip 2.0 by Fog City Software, Inc. List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:requests@pipechat.org?subject=unsubscribe%20pipechat> List-Subscribe: <mailto:requests@pipechat.org?subject=subscribe%20pipechat>  
(back) Subject: Re: Home pipe organ?? From: "Gregory F. Klingler" <klingler@IDT.NET> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 17:52:43 -0400 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit   Wilkinson, Dan wrote:   > I definitely think that with my speakers at the top of the stairs > makes things > much better. In fact, a friend has a 317 as well and we took the > Tibia speaker > and the Main speaker and put them around the corner in the dining > room. The > dining room is heavily draped and once we revoiced and re-regulated > the organ it > sounds wonderful. It very very important, IMHO, that the speakers be > removed > from being right in your face or at your back. > > Dan Wilkinson > _____________ > _________________________________________________________________ > From: PipeChat on Fri, Jul 25, 1997 12:43 PM > Subject: RE: Home pipe organ?? > To: PipeChat > > Do you think that having the speakers removed and partially > "obstructed" > improves the sound, sort of like the semi-buried high pressure > romantic > organs. I have not been pleased with the "presence" of the new > electronics with the speakers on the wall "in your face". > > Bruce Cornely > o o o o o ______________ o o o o o > o o o o ______________ o o o o > o o o o o ______________ o o o o o > ==================================== > > "Pipe Up and Be Heard!" > PipeChat: A discussion List for pipe/digital organs & related topics > > HOMEPAGE : http://www.pipechat.org > List: mailto:pipechat@pipechat.org > Administration: mailto:admin@pipechat.org > Subscribe/Unsubscribe: mailto:requests@pipechat.org > > ------------------ RFC822 Header Follows ------------------ > Received: by mdaw.mdc.com with ADMIN;25 Jul 1997 12:41:05 U > Received: from webtv.net by pipechat.org with SMTP; Fri, 25 Jul 97 > 14:42:23 -0500 > Message-Id: <199707251942.MAA05830@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> > From: cremona84000@webtv.net (bruce cornely) > Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:42:14 -0400 > To: pipechat@pipechat.org (PipeChat) > Subject: RE: Home pipe organ?? > Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT > MIME-Version: 1.0 (WebTV) > Reply-To: PipeChat <pipechat@pipechat.org> > Return-Path: <pipechat@pipechat.org> > Sender: <pipechat@pipechat.org> > Precedence: Bulk > List-Software: LetterRip 2.0 by Fog City Software, Inc. > List-Unsubscribe: > <mailto:requests@pipechat.org?subject=unsubscribe%20pipechat> > List-Subscribe: > <mailto:requests@pipechat.org?subject=subscribe%20pipechat> > > "Pipe Up and Be Heard!" > PipeChat: A discussion List for pipe/digital organs & related topics > > HOMEPAGE : http://www.pipechat.org > List: mailto:pipechat@pipechat.org > Administration: mailto:admin@pipechat.org > Subscribe/Unsubscribe: mailto:requests@pipechat.org   Dan,   I also understand that, if you face some speakers up towards the ceiling, and / or away from the organ (like to the rear walls, etc.), that helps to spread out the sound. Any experience?   Greg   _______________________________________________________ _____________----------------------------------------------------------_____________   o o o o o o o - - - - - - - - - - - - o o o o o o o o o o o o o - - - - - - - - - - - - o o o o o o o o o o o o o _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ o o o o o o o o o o o o o _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ o o o o o o o o o o o o o _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ o o o o o o o o o o o o o _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ o o o o o o ______________-------------------------------------------------------_______________   ______________-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-__-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_______________          
(back) Subject: Re: Home pipe organ?? From: kwkeller@juno.com (KARL W KELLER) Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:35:39 EDT   Please advise me where I can find a PIPE organ that has speakers in upstairs hallways and stuck under grand pianos. This thread has been corrupted because some of our posters don't know haw to change the subject matter when they go "off topic". I just wasted a lot of time wading through a bunch of posts that have nothing to do with "Home pipe organs".   Karl Musica est Die donum optimi  
(back) Subject: Re: Home pipe organ?? From: NFexec@aol.com Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:39:20 -0400 (EDT)   Say Dan -   Tell me more about your Allen 317 - how do you like it -- have you ever played a real theatre pipe organ? What are its limitations and strengths? (I'm a very spoiled theatre pipe organ fan who is used to playing a 40-rank Wurlitzer just about whenever I want)  
(back) Subject: Re: Pipe organ supporting frame From: RMaryman@aol.com Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:46:39 -0400 (EDT)   In a message dated 97-07-23 00:20:30 EDT, you write:   << What other kinds of wood can be used for organ frames? I have some ideas like: 2x6 Poplar or clear pine 1x3 Rock maple So, what is a low cost attractive material for pipe organ frames? >> Almost any wood could be used. Most organ builders use >clear< pine or Poplar... but Basswood, Mahogany, Maple, Birch could also be used with some economy. Different woods have different strengths. For example, Oak (white or red) will support a tremendous amount of weight (4000 pounds per square inch I believe) in a "post" application. Somewhere in my woodworking books, I think there is a chart showing the relative strengths of various woods. post and bearers for a typical organ chest would be quite strong enough out of clear pine in 2 x 6 's to support all the weight of the chest and pipework mounted thereon.   Rick M.  
(back) Subject: Off-topic postings (Was: Home pipe organ??) From: Stuart Frankel <sqf4696@is2.nyu.edu> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:49:08 -0700 Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit   <name removed> wrote:   > > Please advise me where I can find a PIPE organ that has speakers in > upstairs hallways and stuck under grand pianos. This thread has been > corrupted because some of our posters don't know haw to change the > subject matter when they go "off topic". I just wasted a lot of time > wading through a bunch of posts that have nothing to do with "Home pipe > organs". >   The person who sent this message didn't bother to change the subject line either. (I changed the subject for this message so that I could be holier-than-he.)   Stuart (100% pure lurker)  
(back) Subject: Re: Home pipe organ?? From: cremona84000@webtv.net (bruce cornely) Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 19:24:52 -0400 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT   I have had pretty good results with placing the speakers at an angle toward the ceiling, and to enhance bass placing the speakers with the back in a corner.     Bruce Cornely o o o o o ______________ o o o o o o o o o ______________ o o o o o o o o o ______________ o o o o o ====================================  
(back) Subject: Re: Electronics and Pipes Together?? From: SCoonrod@aol.com Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 19:40:15 -0400 (EDT)   I was surprised at the Southeastern Regional AGO Convention to find that the organ that Walter Holtkamp was designing when he died in 1962 had had 32' pedal reed and flue extensions recently installed. This is an organ I was very familiar with....I thought "Ugh!" but the acoustics in the church are great, and the 32' electronic extensions worked very well. If only you didn't know!  
(back) Subject: Re: Off-topic postings (Was: Home pipe organ??) From: kwkeller@juno.com (KARL W KELLER) Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 20:53:38 EDT   I didn't change the subject on purpose so the posters would see my comments. BTW, I don't think anyone can be holier than me.   Karl Musica est Die donum optimi   >The person who sent this message didn't bother to change the subject >line either. (I changed the subject for this message so that I could >be >holier-than-he.) > >Stuart (100% pure lurker)  
(back) Subject: Re: Home pipe organ?? From: Ronnymn@aol.com Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 21:24:43 -0400 (EDT)   Since I have six channels coming from my Baldwin didgital, I use six speakers and three stereo amps. One speaker is a 15" subwoofer which I made, the other 5 speakers are quality stereo speakers that I gathered over the years from garage sales. The amps are 70's vintage hi fi stereo amps/tuners which are dirt cheap used. Since you use the aux input, the quality of the tunner is irrelavent. Placement,?? Ive tried everything and like it all for awhile. Stacked, on their backs, in the corner etc. etc. its fun to experiment. But But but its no pipe. Incidentally I was playing a bit of Boellmann Intro today and my wife mentioned how good it sounded. I was using my Korg sound module with some downloaded organ pataches. (unfortunately they are not individual rank sounds) Anyway the patch entitled classic organ 10 must sound good. She is not a complimenter. I do supplement the Korg sound with my own stops at times usually the pedals. didnt mean to ramble so long.  
(back) Subject: Re: Off-topic postings (Was: Home pipe organ??) From: Stuart Frankel <sqf4696@is2.nyu.edu> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:51:41 -0700 Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit   KARL W KELLER wrote: > > I didn't change the subject on purpose so the posters would see my > comments. > BTW, I don't think anyone can be holier than me. >     Recte: holier than I       - Stuart (self-fulfilling prophet)  
(back) Subject: Re: Off-topic postings (Was: Home pipe organ??) From: MFulk70776@aol.com Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 23:13:37 -0400 (EDT)   In a message dated 97-07-25 22:53:11 EDT, you write:   << KARL W KELLER wrote: > > I didn't change the subject on purpose so the posters would see my > comments. > BTW, I don't think anyone can be holier than me. > Recte: holier than I - Stuart (self-fulfilling prophet) Really, isn't this a *bit* much?  
(back) Subject: Re: Off-topic postings (Was: Home pipe organ??) From: David Scribner <david@blackiris.com> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:57:06 -0500 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"   >In a message dated 97-07-25 22:53:11 EDT, you write: > ><< > KARL W KELLER wrote: > > > > I didn't change the subject on purpose so the posters would see my > > comments. > > BTW, I don't think anyone can be holier than me. > > > > > Recte: holier than I > > > > - Stuart (self-fulfilling prophet) > > Really, isn't this a *bit* much?     Ok Boys, i'm going to pipe in here. Both Pete and Shirley are away but i think that you would get a note saying to DROP THIS RIGHT NOW.   Sorry to butt in but it is getting a little out of hand.   David   ********************************** David Scribner Black Iris Consulting 4775 Balmoral Drive Pensacola, FL 32504-9174 850-478-9635 - Voice 850-476-0711 - Fax david@blackiris.com      
(back) Subject: RE:speaker placement for E-organs From: "Paul F. Stapel" <pstapel@spectra.net> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 23:49:53 -0400 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"   Saturday morning, 1 am Bruce,   I have (sometimes secretly) moved speakers of organs I have known so they point away from audiences, preferably reflecting off 'something' ala Bose style ... always sounds better .... pointing them up at hard ceilings is particularly effective if the speakers are in the same room as the audience.   Paul Stapel Binghamton, NY