PipeChat Digest #1242 - Thursday, January 27, 2000
 
Free Stuff
  by "Bob Branch" <b-branch@att.net>
Dennis James - Calgary Silent Film Series
  by <MUSCUR@aol.com>
Bish/Rufatti
  by "Weber, Richard" <rweber@aero.net>
Re: Bish/Rufatti
  by <DRAWKNOB@aol.com>
Thanks David
  by "Erik Johnson" <the_maitre@hotmail.com>
Re: attitudes toward congregations
  by "Bob Scarborough" <desertbob@rglobal.net>
Re: Bish/Rufatti
  by "Bob Scarborough" <desertbob@rglobal.net>
Re: Thanks David
  by "Bob Scarborough" <desertbob@rglobal.net>
San Diego misc.
  by <Quilisma@socal.rr.com>
visibility
  by <Quilisma@socal.rr.com>
Ruffati
  by <Quilisma@socal.rr.com>
RE: Bish/Rufatti
  by "Storandt, Peter" <pstorandt@okcu.edu>
RE: Bish/Rufatti
  by "Bob Scarborough" <desertbob@rglobal.net>
Diane Bish allagations
  by "Carlo Pietroniro" <concert_organist@hotmail.com>
Re: Ruffati
  by "Dr. Darryl Miller" <organdok@safari.net>
Re:  WLSM hymnal, -- was Tournemire's L'Orgue Mystique
  by <RMaryman@aol.com>
Re:  WLSM hymnal, -- was Tournemire's L'Orgue Mystique
  by "Bob Scarborough" <desertbob@rglobal.net>
Re: WLSM hymnal, -- was Tournemire's L'Orgue Mystique
  by <Quilisma@socal.rr.com>
 



(back) Subject: Free Stuff From: "Bob Branch" <b-branch@att.net> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:22:32 -0500   Hi listers:   I just placed this ad in the "Rochester Theater Organ Society" (RTOS) newsletter. It could be the start of a home project.   FREE - Kohl 2 Manual Pipe Organ Console and Kinetic Blower. Call 716-671-4769     ----------------------- Bob Branch, b-branch@att.net (Fairport, NY, USA) Home Page: http://b-branch.home.att.net Computers, Ham Radio (K2YNW), Pipe Organs, Weaver, Potter, and Dreamer    
(back) Subject: Dennis James - Calgary Silent Film Series From: <MUSCUR@aol.com> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:47:28 EST   It looks like some frigid times ahead for this peripatetic film accompanist=20 from sunny California . . . for its off to the frozen north for the entire=20 month of February to present a weekly silent film series for the Calgary=20 International Organ Federation in Alberta, Canada. I first played a series=20 of four films for their 1998 International Organ Festival and the public=20 acceptance was so great they've decided to spin off the series for=20 presentation in the "off years" between the festival's every-four-years=20 sequence.   The programs will be held every Monday night in February in the lower theatr= e=20 of the Uptown Screen, 610 =E2=80=93 8th Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta. The fes= tival=20 foundation's own 4 manual "George Wright Signature" Allen equipped with=20 custom touring speakers will be brought in, and the archive prints are being= =20 shipped up from around the world for the event. Slated to be screened are:   February 7 7:00 p.m. The Pale Face (Buster Keaton, 1921) / Dr. Jekyll and= =20 Mr. Hyde (John Barrymore, 1920)   February 14 7:00 p.m. One Week (Buster Keaton, 1920) / Seven Chances=20 (Buster Keaton, 1925   February 21 2:00 p.m. A Dog=E2=80=99s Life & The Pilgrim (Charlie Chaplin)   February 28 7:00 p.m. The Boat (Buster Keaton, 1921) / The Black Pirate=20 (Douglas Fairbanks, 1926)   Sleighbells ring . . .=20   Dennis James   House Organ ist- El Capitan Theatre, Hollywood House Organist- Paramount Theatre, Seattle House Organist- Copley Symphony Hall, San Diego   =20  
(back) Subject: Bish/Rufatti From: "Weber, Richard" <rweber@aero.net> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:33:14 -0600   This is a multi-part message in MIME format.   ------=3D_NextPart_000_0009_01BF68BA.4CB1F500 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable   Dear Listers,   I have been hearing rumors (only that, no more) that Ms Diane Bish has =3D some sort of sub rosa arrangement with Ruffati. Has anyone else heard =3D of this? Allegedly she's plugging Ruffati to a church in Florida, where = =3D she wishes to be "artist in residence."   Richard Weber   ------=3D_NextPart_000_0009_01BF68BA.4CB1F500 Content-Type: text/html; charset=3D"iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable   <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content=3D3D"text/html; charset=3D3Diso-8859-1" =3D http-equiv=3D3DContent-Type> <META content=3D3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3D3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D3D#ffffff> <DIV><FONT size=3D3D2>Dear Listers,</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=3D3D2>I have been hearing rumors (only that, no more) that = =3D Ms Diane=3D20 Bish has some sort of <EM>sub rosa</EM> arrangement with Ruffati.&nbsp; = =3D Has=3D20 anyone else heard of this?&nbsp; Allegedly she's plugging Ruffati to a =3D church in=3D20 Florida, where she wishes to be "artist in residence."</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=3D3D2>Richard Weber</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>   ------=3D_NextPart_000_0009_01BF68BA.4CB1F500--    
(back) Subject: Re: Bish/Rufatti From: <DRAWKNOB@aol.com> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:56:14 EST   In a message dated 1/27/00 11:32:56 AM Central Standard Time, = rweber@aero.net writes:   << I have been hearing rumors (only that, no more) that Ms Diane Bish has some sort of sub rosa arrangement with Ruffati. Has anyone else heard of this? Allegedly she's plugging Ruffati to a church in Florida, where she wishes to be "artist in residence. >>   I've not heard about it... but why should it surprise anyone? (IE: the Ruffatti at Coral Ridge...)   John  
(back) Subject: Thanks David From: "Erik Johnson" <the_maitre@hotmail.com> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:58:24 EST   Greetings All,   I first have to thank David for his moderation and tempering of this group =   we have here (even the unequal-tempered members). (Organ humor here people = - no flames intended!)   My challenge is still out - "What are we going to do about it?"   At ND last evening the choir and I had a meeting discussing such ideas and =   some things that we came up with and are putting into place are: 1. Local Access TV is recording and broadcasting ALL important events from =   the church. (Easter/Christmas, Concerts, Special Services, etc.) 2. If they won't come to us - we will go to them. Concerts in the public arena. 3. Formation of a Cabaret Group (for musical fun and again getting the ND choir out into the public arena). 4. Inviting other musical groups to perform thier concerts in the church rather than school gyms/auditoriums.   So having started some ideas what other ideas can our combined musical = minds come up with?   All the Best,   The Maitre ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com    
(back) Subject: Re: attitudes toward congregations From: "Bob Scarborough" <desertbob@rglobal.net> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:37:27   At 02:46 AM 1/25/2000, that DeserTBoB guy wrote:   >I'm with Bud 100% on this one.<snip..and then proceeded to tick off some = people, but then went on to say>   >built a huge complex of the University of San Diego, and the diocesan = >cathedral. All was done in very expensive Romanesque archetecture = ><snip> A CONN ARTIST 720! I kid you not...it was downright SAD.<snip>   Thanks to corrections supplied by lister Preston Wilson, I must rectify = errors in this post. The "cathedral" mentioned by me was indeed only the = University of San Diego chapel (!), even if it was a more grand ediface = than the diocesan cathedral. The sighting and hearing of the Conn Artist = was in fact accurate, however. (They even had it on dollies! "Why pay for = an antiphonal? Just wheel THIS baby anywhere ya want 'n plug it in!")   It turns out, correctly, that the *real* diocesan cathedral is a fairly = forgettable early 1900s California/mexican/romanesque place in downtown = San Diego, and houses a non-irritating Austin. Also, since my visit to = the USD chapel many moons ago, pipes have been installed replacing the = Conn Artist. I've no word as to what kind of pipes reside there, but = shall dig and find out. Enquiring minds want to know!   My apologies for any misinformation. I strive for accuracy, but have = faulty brain memory cells!   DeserTBoB  
(back) Subject: Re: Bish/Rufatti From: "Bob Scarborough" <desertbob@rglobal.net> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:21:08   At 11:33 AM 1/27/2000 -0600, you wrote: >Dear Listers, > >I have been hearing rumors (only that, no more) that Ms Diane Bish has some sort of sub rosa arrangement with Ruffati.<snip>   Oh Lordie...just when we though we were safe from those salami slicers....   Has anyone else heard of this? Allegedly she's plugging Ruffati to a church in Florida, where she wishes to be "artist in residence."<snip>   Someone should point out to this church the very early failure of the Grace Cathedral Ruffati console, and their propensity for rough, screeching voicing that can be heard in any of thier installations. I thought it a shame to have the former Alice Tully Hall =C6olian-Skinner slathered in marinara by this outfit for installation in the "Glass Box". Back up in San Francisco, the =C6-S's curator par excellence, Edward Stout III, evidently had MUCH to say about the "pasta maker" console that replaced the beloved =C6-S console awhile back. Fortunately, that mess was replaced lately by Sch=F6enstein.   DeserTBoB ....who thinks Ruffati should stick to organs in a box, with a single leg and a crank. Monkey not included.  
(back) Subject: Re: Thanks David From: "Bob Scarborough" <desertbob@rglobal.net> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:19:12   At 12:58 PM 1/27/2000 EST, The Maitre wrote:   >1. Local Access TV<snip> >2. If they won't come to us<snip> >3. Formation of a Cabaret Group<snip>. >4. Inviting other musical groups to perform thier concerts in the church=20 >rather than school gyms/auditoriums.<snip>   All of these are fabulous things for a choir to do! 2 and 3 are especially tantilizing! Get the music to the PEOPLE, and get the chior out into the world!   Forming a Cabaret, Madrigal, or other such travelling group from your choir will open a world or secular venues and literature to them, showing both the public and the choristers that there's more to choral music than just the sanctuary. Most public schools (well, those that still *have* a music program of any size) have competed in many choir and madrigal groups for many years, and it was terrific education for the students. Continuing this type of activity to members of your choir can only be beneficial to both them and the community.   Also, Item 1 is excellent to extend the reach of the mainstream church, and show an unwise unknowing public what good musical things the church holds. It's an excellent foil to the "tilt-up church/pRaZe bAnD" mentality that is selling unfortunately so well to the unwashed these days.   Hurrah to The Maitre for his efforts! Best of luck! Now, for outside gigs, all you have to do is get your local Allen dealer let you use a big Allen for public events, =E1 la (2.), above. Out in my area, a small Presbyterian church got a very nice Renaissance to use for local access broadcasts this Christmas season; all they had to do in return was run some commercials for Allen at the start and end of the broadcast. I must admit...it DID sound quite nice.   DeserTBoB    
(back) Subject: San Diego misc. From: <Quilisma@socal.rr.com> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:40:47 -0800       Bob Scarborough wrote:   > At 02:46 AM 1/25/2000, that DeserTBoB guy wrote: > > >I'm with Bud 100% on this one.<snip..and then proceeded to tick off = some people, but then went on to say> > > >built a huge complex of the University of San Diego, and the diocesan = >cathedral. All was done in very expensive Romanesque archetecture = ><snip> A CONN ARTIST 720! I kid you not...it was downright SAD.<snip> > > Thanks to corrections supplied by lister Preston Wilson, I must rectify = errors in this post. The "cathedral" mentioned by me was indeed only the = University of San Diego chapel (!), even if it was a more grand ediface = than the diocesan cathedral. The sighting and hearing of the Conn Artist = was in fact accurate, however. (They even had it on dollies! "Why pay for = an antiphonal? Just wheel THIS baby anywhere ya want 'n plug it in!")   Not PRECISELY accurate, as far as the Immaculata's cathedral status is = concerned. The late Bishop Buddy BUILT the Immaculata to BE the NEW = diocesan cathedral ... only problem was, he neglected to ask permission = from Rome AHEAD OF TIME to move the "sedes" (the bishop's throne), which = evidently is a prerogative of the Pope and/or the Vatican gnomes. Plus he = nearly bankrupted the diocese in the process. So Rome sent an Apostolic Administrator to seize the checkbook and stop construction on the = Immaculata, which explains why what was intended to be marble facing on = the inside ended up being cellotex. It is USED as the cathedral for = virtually all pontifical functions, but the "sedes" remains downtown at = St. Joseph's.   The Immaculata at various times has had a Wurlitzer theatre organ (present = whereabouts unknown), the Conn, a big Baldwin on loan from the RC Baldwin = dealer, a big Rodgers on loan from the (same) RC Rodgers dealer when he = got the Rodgers franchise ... it currently has the small two-manual = Beckerath out of Mission San Luis Rey in Oceanside, which the Franciscans = abandoned in favour of an Allen because the priest was tired of the = Beckerath (!). The Immaculata is a HUGE space ... the Beckerath is lost, from all = reports. I've not heard it in its new home ... Allen usually brings in a = loaner for the many concerts held in the Immaculata.   > It turns out, correctly, that the *real* diocesan cathedral is a fairly = forgettable early 1900s California/mexican/romanesque place in downtown = San Diego, and houses a non-irritating Austin. Also, since my visit to = the USD chapel many moons ago, pipes have been installed replacing the = Conn Artist. I've no word as to what kind of pipes reside there, but = shall dig and find out. Enquiring minds want to know!   The original St. Joseph's Church downtown was a red-brick GOTHIC cruciform = structure. When it was elevated to cathedral status, they knocked out the = east wall and doubled the length of the church, leaving the transcepts = approximately half-way down the nave ... a strange effect, to say the = least. At that time they also "missionized" it, covering over the = red-brick gothic structure with stucco, etc. You can see remnants of the = gothic original inside the bell tower, which they didn't bother to stucco.   It HAD superb acoustics until a cathedral rector put down green = wall-to-wall indoor-outdoor carpet (over the old marble floors) and = floor-to-ceiling cellotex.   The '20s Austin evidently was quite exciting in its original acoustical = setting ... Dupre played at least one recital there, among several other = notables whose names I forget at the moment. It still has a certain amount = of presence, due to the huge scales and preponderance of 8' stops.   There's some kind of jury-rigged amplification and a mechanical player on = the Great chimes to ring the noon Angelus, so you're not supposed to play = a prelude at the noon Mass. I knew that, but it didn't occur to me that = setting my registrations during the Angelus (including tremulant) would = affect the bells ... sure enough, they went warbling out across the harbor = with full trem (grin).   The NEW Ordinary is a musician and liturgist, so perhaps there's hope ... = it's reported that he sings a GRAND High Mass.   Cheers,   Bud    
(back) Subject: visibility From: <Quilisma@socal.rr.com> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:43:03 -0800   I have the OPPOSITE problem regarding visibility, etc. ... I have people = in the parish who have the equipment to videotape services, burn CDs, etc. ... = how do I politely say to them that we don't have the room, the organ, OR the choir = for that AT PRESENT?   Cheers,   Bud   Erik Johnson wrote:   > Greetings All, > > I first have to thank David for his moderation and tempering of this = group > we have here (even the unequal-tempered members). (Organ humor here = people - > no flames intended!) > > My challenge is still out - "What are we going to do about it?" > > At ND last evening the choir and I had a meeting discussing such ideas = and > some things that we came up with and are putting into place are: > 1. Local Access TV is recording and broadcasting ALL important events = from > the church. (Easter/Christmas, Concerts, Special Services, etc.) > 2. If they won't come to us - we will go to them. Concerts in the = public > arena. > 3. Formation of a Cabaret Group (for musical fun and again getting the = ND > choir out into the public arena). > 4. Inviting other musical groups to perform thier concerts in the church > rather than school gyms/auditoriums. > > So having started some ideas what other ideas can our combined musical = minds > come up with? > > All the Best, > > The Maitre > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > > "Pipe Up and Be Heard!" > PipeChat: A discussion List for pipe/digital organs & related topics > HOMEPAGE : http://www.pipechat.org > List: mailto:pipechat@pipechat.org > Administration: mailto:admin@pipechat.org > Subscribe/Unsubscribe: mailto:requests@pipechat.org    
(back) Subject: Ruffati From: <Quilisma@socal.rr.com> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:53:52 -0800   OK, I'm gonna be VERY careful with this post ... there's a fine line = between legitimate criticism and libel (grin).   IN MY EXPERIENCE, the Ruffati's I'VE PLAYED have been tonally unbalanced, = or mechanically unreliable, or both.   In particular, placing an unencased organ in the huge space of St. Mary's Cathedral in San Francisco was a BIG mistake. Most of the sound goes up = the "agitator" tower. The same is true for the choir, which was being miked = the last time I was there. Now, that's PARTIALLY the fault of the architect, = but a savvy builder would have looked at the situation and done things = differently.   As far as the Silica Basilica, everything sounds like everything else to = my ears. I've asked the question several times: in an organ THAT large, why DUPLICATE everything, both in the main organ and in the gallery organ, = rather than providing LEGITIMATE organ-stops that are missing, like the 5 1/3' = Gros Nasard, 3 1/5 Gros Tierce, etc.? I haven't looked at the stop-list = recently ... maybe those things are there now. But the last time I looked at it, there = were TWO Nasards, TWO Tierces, TWO 8' Bourdons, TWO 8' Principals, etc. on just about every division, and some of the reeds weren't where they needed to = be to play French music accurately. Are the acoustics really SO awful that the = organ NEEDS all those doublings?   In fairness, more recently Ruffati has contributed some scholarly articles about the restoration of 17th and 18th century Italian organs to the = Diapason (or was it the Tracker?) ... I don't recall reading reviews of the actual RESTORATIONS, though ... perhaps somebody who gets the ISO journal has ... = my subscription ran out, and I let it drop.   I can't imagine that their prices are all THAT attractive, but they = certainly seem to be getting a lot of work in the U.S.   Cheers,   Bud        
(back) Subject: RE: Bish/Rufatti From: "Storandt, Peter" <pstorandt@okcu.edu> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:05:12 -0600   Bob et al.:   I am dismayed by what I read as a sort of categoric anti-Italian sneer in your message. It's as though after getting caught knocking RC church = music, you have shifted to knocking a prominent Italian organ builder. I am in favor of constructive criticism, but I have a hard time seeing the = relevance of references to "salami slicers" and "pasta" in a PipeChat message. The organ-grinder image belongs in the same category.   For what it's worth, Ruffatti is spelled with two "t"s and there never was an AEoilain-Skinner organ in Alice Tully Hall. The A-S was in the = original Philharmonic Hall, now the organ-free Avery Fisher Hall.   Peter    
(back) Subject: RE: Bish/Rufatti From: "Bob Scarborough" <desertbob@rglobal.net> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:15:41   At 01:05 PM 1/27/2000 -0600, you wrote:   >For what it's worth, Ruffatti is spelled with two "t"s and there never = was >an AEoilain-Skinner organ in Alice Tully Hall. The A-S was in the >original Philharmonic Hall, now the organ-free Avery Fisher Hall.   Correction duly noted. I stand by my opinion of the RuffatTi product, though. I find them irritating, at best.   DeserTBoB      
(back) Subject: Diane Bish allagations From: "Carlo Pietroniro" <concert_organist@hotmail.com> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:46:54 EST   Greetings,   when I read the post about Diane Plugging a Ruffatti organ to a church in Florida because she wishes to be "artist in residence" I nearly fell off my chair. Diane is presently living near Bloomington Indiana (location of The Joy Of Music) and has no intention of doing any such = thing. I forwarded the original e-mail to her. I'm very anxious to see what her reaction will be. IMHO, Diane doesn't need to do anything to be an "artist =   in residence", and certainly not plugging an instrument. Actually, if anything, she'd be plugging the "Diane Bish signature series organ" from Allen, and even then, it sells itself! All money she makes from Allen goes =   into The Joy Of Music. Anyway, if I heard rumors about a famous organist, = I for one would never post it!   Carlo ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com    
(back) Subject: Re: Ruffati From: "Dr. Darryl Miller" <organdok@safari.net> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:17:20 -0500   Hi, Y'all!   I, too, want to be most careful in writing concerning the Ruffattis. Obviously, I'm very close to the situation since I play their most famous complete organ each day of my life. I admire the Ruffatti brothers very much. They are men of incredible knowledge and personal integrity. If you don't know of their restoration work in Europe and South America, I = suggest you do some research. Half of their shop is dedicated to antique organ restoration.   Like any organ building/manufacturing company, they are, unfortunately, known by some pretty dreadful organs. However, if we can look past some of these early United States instruments, I believe the current tonal direction of the company can best be assessed by the instrument in Spivey Hall at Clayton State College near Atlanta. This is a fine organ. It is mechanically sound and musically satisfying to the organist and to the listener.   Please, please, please, let us be cautious in our postings. I'm very concerned that the slanderous remarks made by some in their use of slang = is damaging to the character of the company and these two fine men and those who are emmployed by the Ruffattis.   I absolutely refuse to humour those who want to speculate and guess on Diane's motives and comings and goings. If you would like to discuss this further, I would be happy to do so privately via e-mail or telephone. You may phone me at my office at 954-334-5192.   The Philadelphia Organ Quartet performs in concert tomorrow night on my Series. If any of you are in the area, I suggest you come by and enjoy the concert. It is a very enjoyable show!   Yours,   Darryl by the Sea Fort Lauderdale       At 10:53 AM 1/27/00 -0800, you wrote: >OK, I'm gonna be VERY careful with this post ... there's a fine line = between >legitimate criticism and libel (grin). > >IN MY EXPERIENCE, the Ruffati's I'VE PLAYED have been tonally unbalanced, = or >mechanically unreliable, or both. > >In particular, placing an unencased organ in the huge space of St. Mary's >Cathedral in San Francisco was a BIG mistake. Most of the sound goes up = the >"agitator" tower. The same is true for the choir, which was being miked = the >last time I was there. Now, that's PARTIALLY the fault of the architect, but a >savvy builder would have looked at the situation and done things = differently. > >As far as the Silica Basilica, everything sounds like everything else to = my >ears. I've asked the question several times: in an organ THAT large, why >DUPLICATE everything, both in the main organ and in the gallery organ, = rather >than providing LEGITIMATE organ-stops that are missing, like the 5 1/3' = Gros >Nasard, 3 1/5 Gros Tierce, etc.? I haven't looked at the stop-list recently ... >maybe those things are there now. But the last time I looked at it, there were >TWO Nasards, TWO Tierces, TWO 8' Bourdons, TWO 8' Principals, etc. on = just >about every division, and some of the reeds weren't where they needed to be to >play French music accurately. Are the acoustics really SO awful that the organ >NEEDS all those doublings? > >In fairness, more recently Ruffati has contributed some scholarly = articles >about the restoration of 17th and 18th century Italian organs to the = Diapason >(or was it the Tracker?) ... I don't recall reading reviews of the actual >RESTORATIONS, though ... perhaps somebody who gets the ISO journal has = ... my >subscription ran out, and I let it drop. > >I can't imagine that their prices are all THAT attractive, but they = certainly >seem to be getting a lot of work in the U.S. > >Cheers, > >Bud > > > > >"Pipe Up and Be Heard!" >PipeChat: A discussion List for pipe/digital organs & related topics >HOMEPAGE : http://www.pipechat.org >List: mailto:pipechat@pipechat.org >Administration: mailto:admin@pipechat.org >Subscribe/Unsubscribe: mailto:requests@pipechat.org > > >    
(back) Subject: Re: WLSM hymnal, -- was Tournemire's L'Orgue Mystique From: <RMaryman@aol.com> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:03:43 EST   In a message dated 00-01-26 23:29:19 EST, you write:   << Ah, yes...WLSM. Did any RC folks use that grey "People's Mass" hynmal = when it came out? >>   YES, I used the PMB, but the edition that our church had was the medium = key edition, which had a brown cover rather than the "low" key edition which = had the gray cover. I got really good at the "sharp" keys like D maj and Gmaj =   young in life from practicing the hymn accompaniments from that hymnal. (Just as a side comment I thought -back then - that the best of the old RC =   hymnals was the old blue-covered 'St. Gregory's" which still had lots of = the old latin-text hymns.) FWIW     Rick Maryman Staunton VA  
(back) Subject: Re: WLSM hymnal, -- was Tournemire's L'Orgue Mystique From: "Bob Scarborough" <desertbob@rglobal.net> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:17:22   At 09:03 PM 1/27/2000 EST, you wrote:   >that the best of the old RC hymnals was the old blue-covered 'St. >Gregory's" which still had lots of the old latin-text hymns.<snip>   Got one...the big organist's edition...and NO, you CAN'T have it!   DeserTBoB  
(back) Subject: Re: WLSM hymnal, -- was Tournemire's L'Orgue Mystique From: <Quilisma@socal.rr.com> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:37:19 -0800   So do I and no you can't ... neener neener neener ... grin ... and the newer abridged one from GIA commits unprintable acts ... gotta have the old full music edition (grin).   Cheers,   Bud   Bob Scarborough wrote:   > At 09:03 PM 1/27/2000 EST, you wrote: > > >that the best of the old RC hymnals was the old blue-covered 'St. > >Gregory's" which still had lots of the old latin-text hymns.<snip> > > Got one...the big organist's edition...and NO, you CAN'T have it! > > DeserTBoB > > "Pipe Up and Be Heard!" > PipeChat: A discussion List for pipe/digital organs & related topics > HOMEPAGE : http://www.pipechat.org > List: mailto:pipechat@pipechat.org > Administration: mailto:admin@pipechat.org > Subscribe/Unsubscribe: mailto:requests@pipechat.org