PipeChat Digest #4446 - Wednesday, April 21, 2004
 
Re: Vocabulary question
  by "Richard Schneider" <arpschneider@starband.net>
St . Patricks Halifax Nova Scotia
  by "Daniel Hopkins" <danielwh@ns.sympatico.ca>
Re: Vocabulary question
  by "bobelms" <bobelms@westnet.com.au>
RE: Vocabulary question
  by "Andr=E9s G=FCnther" <agun@telcel.net.ve>
RE: Vocabulary question
  by "Scott Montgomery" <montre1978@yahoo.com>
Re: Vocabulary question
  by "noel jones" <gedeckt@usit.net>
68- and 73-note windchests
  by <TubaMagna@aol.com>
Re: Vocabulary question
  by <TubaMagna@aol.com>
73-and 85-note keyboards
  by <TubaMagna@aol.com>
Re: Vocabulary question
  by <Keys4bach@aol.com>
Halifax NS
  by "Judy A. Ollikkala" <71431.2534@compuserve.com>
Felix Hell update
  by "Stephen Best" <sbest@borg.com>
Re: Halifax NS
  by "Arie Vandenberg" <ArieV@ClassicOrgan.com>
A little correction...
  by "Stephen Best" <sbest@borg.com>
RE: Vocabulary question
  by "Emmons, Paul" <PEMMONS@wcupa.edu>
Six-octave manuals?
  by "Alan Freed" <acfreed0904@earthlink.net>
Re: 73-and 85-note keyboards
  by "Alan Freed" <acfreed0904@earthlink.net>
Re: Felix Hell update
  by "Alan Freed" <acfreed0904@earthlink.net>
Danielwh Car accident
  by "Daniel Hopkins" <danielwh@ns.sympatico.ca>
73--Note Manuals:  Dupr=E9 House Organ
  by <Lewwill@aol.com>
Re: Danielwh Car accident
  by <Myosotis51@aol.com>
Re: Danielwh Car accident
  by "Nelson Denton" <ndenton@cogeco.ca>
Re: Danielwh Car accident
  by <Rachmaninoff45@aol.com>
Re: Felix Hell update
  by "Mike Gettelman" <mike3247@earthlink.net>
Re: Felix Hell update
  by <OMusic@aol.com>
 

(back) Subject: Re: Vocabulary question From: "Richard Schneider" <arpschneider@starband.net> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:12:15 -0500   noel jones wrote: > If a rank has 73 pipes or more it is a giveaway that that rank is used > for more than one stop on the keyboard.   Not necessarily.   In the Swell (and sometimes other divisions!) in some instruments; particularly those of the better builders, there are additional pipes included per rank in order to deal with the "super octave" couplers. Unless the extra pipes are available in each rank, the top octave will = have no pipes to play when this coupler is drawn. Consequently, the various ranks will run out of notes and drop out one octave before the top of the keyboard is reached.   Sometimes, as a compromise solution to this dilemma, organbuilders will = run the rank extensions for the "super" couplers up only to G; IOW: 68 pipes, instead of all the way to the top C.   This practice is only reserved for 16', 8' and 4' stops; as it becomes quite impossible to build and voice pipes above the top of 2' C; as the speaking length of that pipe is only 3/8"!   That is: unless you're a voicer fresh from the "Dog Whistle" manufactory!   Faithfully,   G.A. -- Richard Schneider, PRES/CEO <>< Schneider Pipe Organs, Inc. 41-43 Johnston St./P.O. Box 137 Kenney, IL 61749-0137 (217) 944-2454 VOX (877) 944-2454 TOLL-FREE (217) 944-2527 FAX arpschneider@starband.net Home Office EMAIL arp@schneiderpipeorgans.com SHOP EMAIL http://www.schneiderpipeorgans.com URL ADDRESS  
(back) Subject: St . Patricks Halifax Nova Scotia From: "Daniel Hopkins" <danielwh@ns.sympatico.ca> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:33:27 -0300   TO those who wonder what St. Patricks in Halifax looks like. It is a building very similar to St Patricks in Roxbury Massechusetts. = for those who attended OHS 2000 Although the Church in Halifax has a much more ornate richly stencilled interior Danielwh    
(back) Subject: Re: Vocabulary question From: "bobelms" <bobelms@westnet.com.au> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:03:23 +0800   That is not necessarily so, Noel. The Moser organ in the Benedictine Abbey at New Norcia Western Australi has an extra 12 notes to each rank so that the octave couplers on that manual will have coupled notes all the way up. Bob Elms. ----- Original Message ----- From: "noel jones" <gedeckt@usit.net> To: "PipeChat" <pipechat@pipechat.org> > If a rank has 73 pipes or more it is a giveaway that that rank is used > for more than one stop on the keyboard. > >    
(back) Subject: RE: Vocabulary question From: "Andr=E9s G=FCnther" <agun@telcel.net.ve> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:03:01 -0400   Andres Gunther agun@telcel.net.ve   Count as "more or less 4,65 ranks" <LOL>   For laymen: A Mixture IV-V starts with 4 ranks in the bass and ends with 5 ranks in = the treble. In the case of a IV-VI mixture, it starts with 4 ranks in bass, gets an additional rank in the middle and ends with 6 ranks in the treble. From which point on it gets the additional rank(s) varies, since there = isn't a standard design for mixtures. Short explanation for a far more complex matter :)   Andres =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D First was the cat, then was the Orgler. The Orgler got a pet and the cat got something to wonder about.   ----- Original Message ----- From: Octaaf To: PipeChat Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 6:33 PM Subject: Re: Vocabulary question     Simple enough ... however, how does one "count" the ranks of say a Mixture IV-V stop?      
(back) Subject: RE: Vocabulary question From: "Scott Montgomery" <montre1978@yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:52:39 -0700 (PDT)   Isn't the IV-V Mixture usually for a 16' Pleinum, and the 5th rank is a 5 = 1/3' in the higher register?   Andr=E9s G=FCnther <agun@telcel.net.ve> wrote:Andres Gunther agun@telcel.net.ve   Count as "more or less 4,65 ranks"   For laymen: A Mixture IV-V starts with 4 ranks in the bass and ends with 5 ranks in = the treble. In the case of a IV-VI mixture, it starts with 4 ranks in bass, gets an additional rank in the middle and ends with 6 ranks in the treble. From which point on it gets the additional rank(s) varies, since there = isn't a standard design for mixtures. Short explanation for a far more complex matter :)   Andres =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D First was the cat, then was the Orgler. The Orgler got a pet and the cat got something to wonder about.   ----- Original Message ----- From: Octaaf To: PipeChat Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 6:33 PM Subject: Re: Vocabulary question     Simple enough ... however, how does one "count" the ranks of say a Mixture IV-V stop?     "Pipe Up and Be Heard!" PipeChat: A discussion List for pipe/digital organs & related topics HOMEPAGE : http://www.pipechat.org List: mailto:pipechat@pipechat.org Administration: mailto:admin@pipechat.org Subscribe/Unsubscribe: mailto:requests@pipechat.org       --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25=A2  
(back) Subject: Re: Vocabulary question From: "noel jones" <gedeckt@usit.net> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:58:36 -0400   Bob's absolutely right...   And wasn't Page a builder that extended the Great keyboard physically as well, demanding more pipes than the "normal" 61?     noel jones, aago noeljones@frogmusic.com |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| moderator, rodgers organ users group at frog music press publishing music, midi and users manuals for the rodgers organ 1 877-249-5251 toll free athens, tn, usa users group & the frog web site: www.frogmusic.com      
(back) Subject: 68- and 73-note windchests From: <TubaMagna@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:11:44 EDT   Sixty-eight and seventy-three note windchests were common during the first half of the last century, when there was more use of octave couplers = in organ playing technique. By the middle of the century, Americans had = developed such a craving for brilliance, whether artistic or not, that octave = couplers were everywhere, even though the literature actually only calls for the Octaves =   Graves (sub-coupler) in any serious sense. Sixty-eight note compasses were used primarily to accommodate the use = of octave couplers in the later French repertoire, which extended to G56 (for = the most part, although some extends to A58). Octave couplers, applied to = 68-note soundboards, do not run into the "missing note" problem at the top of the range in this literature. In the opinion of many, 73-note chests are = wasteful of space and funds, but are often retained in rebuilds. At Emanu-El, I = retained the 73-note chests throughout, even building a new Choir Mixture III with = 219 pipes. However, in the Great department, which no longer has an octave = coupler, the division is kept at 61 notes, with the soundboard space formerly = occupied by the super coupler devoted to a spacious passage board for the tuners. = The Mixture Major V-VII and Sharp Mixture IV give enough of a hint of = brilliance to not need an octave coupler on that 32-rank division. Octave couplers, of course, distort the tonal balance of an organ as = left by the finisher, especially when applied to upperwork and ranks finished = with the normal treble ascendancy, or treble ascendancy with some apex dropoff. =   Contrapuntal literature suffers the most.   Sebastian M. Gluck New York City   ..  
(back) Subject: Re: Vocabulary question From: <TubaMagna@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:16:45 EDT   Scott Montgomery asks:   Isn't the IV-V Mixture usually for a 16' Pleinum, and the 5th rank is a 5 1/3' in the higher register?   Absolutely not. The composition of a Mixture is not dependant upon its rankage. = Mixtures are designed by the tonal director based upon the size of the room, its acoustic, and the scope of the instrument. Mixture design is so grossly misunderstood that most people have not really heard decent upperwork. In some of America's most lauded = instruments, badly designed mixtures, drawn by the handful, in generous acoustics, often give =   the impression of being impressive. On an individual basis, however, they = are often clumsily composed with little knowledge or thought, and poorly = voiced and finished.   Sebastian M. Gluck New York City   ..  
(back) Subject: 73-and 85-note keyboards From: <TubaMagna@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:17:48 EDT   It was Midmer and/or Midmer-Losh, not Page.  
(back) Subject: Re: Vocabulary question From: <Keys4bach@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:22:50 EDT   In a message dated 4/20/2004 10:17:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, TubaMagna@aol.com writes:   > On an individual basis, however, they are > often clumsily composed with little knowledge or thought, and poorly = voiced > and > finished. >   that is why organists and committees should hire: competent and experienced consultants and reputable builders only   dale speaking in thankfulness that he had done so......in the past    
(back) Subject: Halifax NS From: "Judy A. Ollikkala" <71431.2534@compuserve.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:40:09 -0400   The RCCO National Convention is to be held in Halifax in 2005. Let's hope attention is paid to the pipe organs there. I have attended three RCCO Conventions, Quebec City, Toronto, and Ottawa, greatly enjoyed them all. Judy Ollikkala, Worcester MA USA  
(back) Subject: Felix Hell update From: "Stephen Best" <sbest@borg.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:51:34 -0400   A recent post to these lists suggested that Felix Hell might be too busy playing recitals to be properly studying and expanding his repertoire. At the time I penned a short response, promising to write more when time allowed. The time is now!   First, Felix will be graduating shortly from Curtis Institute. At age 18, he is the youngest organ major to have ever completed his studies at Curtis, doing it in just three years. The BMus program at Curtis requires 140 credit hours. This semester Felix is taking a remarkable 24 credit hours! His studies continue to be broadly based: he is reading works by authors such as Goethe, Willed, Hemmingway, and Remarque, studying performance practice, especially French classic, Italian renaissance, North German baroque, and ornamentation in the music of Bach. Despite his heavy academic load, he has added the Regene B-A-C-H fantasy to his repertoire, is studying and recording the complete works of Mendelssohn, and studying the compete works of Buxtehude, Luebeck, and Brahms. And of course, he is performing all the time. His favorite composer remains Bach, but who among us doesn't have our own favorites!   Second, Felix has over eleven hours of repertoire instantly available, including music from all eras. This vast reserve of music allows him to design special programs for every venue in which he plays. He is committed to selecting whatever music will work best on a particular instrument, and his programs reflect careful analysis of the resources at hand. He does not have a stock/generic program that will "work" anywhere, preferring instead to demonstrate the resources at hand with repertoire best suited for the instrument on which he is performing.   I've saved the most remarkable news about this extraordinary performer for last: for the fall of 2004, Felix Hell has been accepted at the Peabody Institute in Baltimore where he will study with Don Sutherland in both the MM program and the Artist Diploma program...all on a full tuition scholarship! The audition process was grueling: 1400 candidates applied for 250 places. From those who were accepted, 15 were chosen to complete for two places in the Artist Diploma program, the audition for which required a 75 minute recital! Judges for the Artist Diploma competition were the first chair violinist of the Baltimore Symphony, the chief music critic for the Washington Post, and a noted Russian pianist. The winners were a young pianist and Felix Hell! The organ is hardly considered mainstream, and it is unheard of that an organist would even have a chance for an Artist Diploma spot. What an honor!   Lest you get the impression that I'm a publicity agent for Felix Hell, I will close with a disclaimer. I'm just an avid fan in Upstate New York who has followed Felix's career with great interest. He's performed at my church twice, first when he was just 14, and will return in the fall. From the first time I heard him, I knew I was in the presence of greatness, and I consider it my good fortune to have made his acquaintance! If you've heard and met Felix Hell, you know what I mean. If you haven't -- make it a point to do so!   Steve Best in Utica, NY    
(back) Subject: Re: Halifax NS From: "Arie Vandenberg" <ArieV@ClassicOrgan.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:57:06 -0400   At 10:40 AM 2004-04-20 -0400, you wrote: >The RCCO National Convention is to be held in Halifax in 2005. Let's hope >attention is paid to the pipe organs there. I have attended three RCCO >Conventions, Quebec City, Toronto, and Ottawa, >greatly enjoyed them all. >Judy Ollikkala, Worcester MA USA   Judy,   And what was it about these conventions you like most? The people, the cities, the organs, the concerts?   I was at the Quebec City convention as well as Toronto, and must say that the organs and the concerts were not all that memorable.   Being from Toronto, we here are all wishing we had more distinguished organs in this city. We have the largest organ in Canada here, maybe the second largest one as well, both are in good working order, but they are not considered really great instruments. The concert hall here, Roy Thompson Hall, has about a 100 rank organ that just is inadequate for most =   anything. There are some baroque revival instruments in town, but they = are not considered as superb instruments.   The city in Canada that has a really good collection of organs is = Montreal, everything from glorious romantic Casavants, to baroque revival, to French =   Classical. And there is a real organ culture there too.   Oh, well, maybe some day Toronto will wake up and smell the real coffee.   Arie V.   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Arie Vandenberg Classic Organbuilders ArieV@ClassicOrgan.com Tel.: 905-475-1263      
(back) Subject: A little correction... From: "Stephen Best" <sbest@borg.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:53:02 -0400   A note of correction: Felix Hell has added the Reger B-A-C-H fantasy to his repertoire, not the Regene! Spell check doesn't seem to appreciate poor old Max.   Steve Best in Utica, NY    
(back) Subject: RE: Vocabulary question From: "Emmons, Paul" <PEMMONS@wcupa.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:57:46 -0400   > If a rank has 73 pipes or more it is a giveaway that that rank is used =   for more than one stop on the keyboard.   Not necessarily: sometimes 16', 8', and 4' stops have an extra octave at = the top solely for supercoupling.   Or sometimes we will see a compromise: 68 pipes, so that there are extra = pipes up to top G.    
(back) Subject: Six-octave manuals? From: "Alan Freed" <acfreed0904@earthlink.net> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:47:35 -0400   On 4/20/04 9:58 AM, "noel jones" <gedeckt@usit.net> wrote:   > And wasn't Page a builder that extended the Great keyboard physically as > well, demanding more pipes than the "normal" 61?   For what? Somebody writes literature for that sixth octave? Or just to make improvisation more fun? Or, of course, to invite organists to play hymns an octave "up" for some reason?   Alan    
(back) Subject: Re: 73-and 85-note keyboards From: "Alan Freed" <acfreed0904@earthlink.net> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:01:47 -0400   On 4/20/04 10:17 AM, "TubaMagna@aol.com" <TubaMagna@aol.com> wrote:   > It was Midmer and/or Midmer-Losh, not Page.   Yes. But did he/they do it more than once or twice? And was it for a purpose more broadly applicable than those couple of times?   (Or did I miss a joke?)   Alan    
(back) Subject: Re: Felix Hell update From: "Alan Freed" <acfreed0904@earthlink.net> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:15:44 -0400   On 4/20/04 10:51 AM, "Stephen Best" <sbest@borg.com> wrote:   > If you've heard and met Felix Hell, you know what I mean. If you haven't = -- > make it a point to do so!   I have had the marvelous fortune of doing so. Your report is received = with gratitude. I'm often tempted to inquire about matters you've explained superbly, but this is HARDLY the month in which to steal even a moment of his time with pesky notes from the likes of myself. You've done both = Felix and all of US a great service by your report.   Alan    
(back) Subject: Danielwh Car accident From: "Daniel Hopkins" <danielwh@ns.sympatico.ca> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:31:26 -0300   Im ok But I totalled our new Pontiac Grand Prix today on our way home = from Yarmouth the whole front of the car was pushed sideways was pulling out in a notouriosly dangerous intersection , the car that = hit us also met its demise although everyone survived Danielwh    
(back) Subject: 73--Note Manuals: Dupr=E9 House Organ From: <Lewwill@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:20:36 EDT   Dear Listers   When Dupre replaced the original Cavaille-Coll console on his house organ with the present modern one, he had the manual compasses extended to 73 = notes. It was one of his innovative ideas that he implemented, along with the = sostenuto couplers and the pedal divide.   Lew Williams    
(back) Subject: Re: Danielwh Car accident From: <Myosotis51@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:57:46 EDT   Hello danielwh@ns.sympatico.ca,     In reference to your comment: Im ok But I totalled our new Pontiac Grand Prix today on our way home = from Yarmouth Glad you're ok, Daniel. Cars are things. People are important.   XOXO Victoria    
(back) Subject: Re: Danielwh Car accident From: "Nelson Denton" <ndenton@cogeco.ca> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:19:52 -0400   Ouch!! That's gotta hurt Danny. I'm glad you and your family are ok. I = feel for you. My Sweetie did the same thing to our little green Neon this past winter. :-(((   She slide twice on extremely slippery pavement and did minor damage to the = front end twice. Then there was the high speed blowout on 3 day old brand new = tires, and finally she was rear ended by a guy in a giant SUV who found out the = hard way that 4 wheel drives don't stop any better than regular cars on dry pavement.   We now have a slightly newer red Neon that is 3' longer than the old one = was at the end and whopping insurance rates :-(((( .   I feel your pain! Your friend Nelson    
(back) Subject: Re: Danielwh Car accident From: <Rachmaninoff45@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:26:00 EDT   Dear Danielwh,   Sorry to hear that. Would you believe it if I told you that my car = and a barbed wire fence got into a fight? Unfortunately, the fence one the = battle.     Best Regards, Gregory Hinson    
(back) Subject: Re: Felix Hell update From: "Mike Gettelman" <mike3247@earthlink.net> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:30:41 -0400   Dear List, Stephen brings us wonderful news indeed. Felix seems to be completely = on track for success, is obviously doing well handling the pressure of his very busy life, and is garnering honor along the road of his prodigious organic journey. If I knew how to do the paperwork to nominate his life as = a genuine miracle, I would submit it post haste. I am curious about the Artist Diploma Program. It is obviously a huge citation to be selected for in the first place. Is the program specific to Peabody Institute, or are there other schools offering this Diploma? I wonder if we might know some names of current holders of this Diploma. It would also be interesting to know the requirements for the course of study involved in this program. Thanks to Stephen for bringing us closer to the incredible life Felix = is leading, and many thanks to Felix for living it so well.   My Kind Regards Mike Gettelman       Stephen Best wrote:   > A recent post to these lists suggested that Felix Hell might be too busy > playing recitals to be properly studying and expanding his repertoire. > At the time I penned a short response, promising to write more when time > allowed. The time is now! > > First, Felix will be graduating shortly from Curtis Institute. At age > 18, he is the youngest organ major to have ever completed his studies at > Curtis, doing it in just three years. The BMus program at Curtis > requires 140 credit hours. This semester Felix is taking a remarkable 24 > credit hours! His studies continue to be broadly based: he is reading > works by authors such as Goethe, Willed, Hemmingway, and Remarque, > studying performance practice, especially French classic, Italian > renaissance, North German baroque, and ornamentation in the music of > Bach. Despite his heavy academic load, he has added the Regene B-A-C-H > fantasy to his repertoire, is studying and recording the complete works > of Mendelssohn, and studying the compete works of Buxtehude, Luebeck, > and Brahms. And of course, he is performing all the time. His favorite > composer remains Bach, but who among us doesn't have our own favorites! > > Second, Felix has over eleven hours of repertoire instantly available, > including music from all eras. This vast reserve of music allows him to > design special programs for every venue in which he plays. He is > committed to selecting whatever music will work best on a particular > instrument, and his programs reflect careful analysis of the resources > at hand. He does not have a stock/generic program that will "work" > anywhere, preferring instead to demonstrate the resources at hand with > repertoire best suited for the instrument on which he is performing. > > I've saved the most remarkable news about this extraordinary performer > for last: for the fall of 2004, Felix Hell has been accepted at the > Peabody Institute in Baltimore where he will study with Don Sutherland > in both the MM program and the Artist Diploma program...all on a full > tuition scholarship! The audition process was grueling: 1400 candidates > applied for 250 places. From those who were accepted, 15 were chosen to > complete for two places in the Artist Diploma program, the audition for > which required a 75 minute recital! Judges for the Artist Diploma > competition were the first chair violinist of the Baltimore Symphony, > the chief music critic for the Washington Post, and a noted Russian > pianist. The winners were a young pianist and Felix Hell! The organ is > hardly considered mainstream, and it is unheard of that an organist > would even have a chance for an Artist Diploma spot. What an honor! > > Lest you get the impression that I'm a publicity agent for Felix Hell, I > will close with a disclaimer. I'm just an avid fan in Upstate New York > who has followed Felix's career with great interest. He's performed at > my church twice, first when he was just 14, and will return in the fall. > >From the first time I heard him, I knew I was in the presence of > greatness, and I consider it my good fortune to have made his > acquaintance! If you've heard and met Felix Hell, you know what I mean. > If you haven't -- make it a point to do so! > > Steve Best in Utica, NY > >    
(back) Subject: Re: Felix Hell update From: <OMusic@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:54:10 EDT   Not only is Felix a great organist he is also a great person, as is his father, Hans. What an honor it was for him to play for our wedding. We = still are overwhelmed, and will continue to be. Something to tell our = grandchildren? I already have grandchildren who know all about it. It's something for them = to tell their grandchildren. Love you, Felix and Hans. Keith and Lee