PipeChat Digest #5092 - Sunday, January 16, 2005
 
Re: Alex and Colin
  by "Keith Zimmerman" <kwzimmerman@alltel.net>
Austria
  by "Dominic Scullion" <dominicscullion@email.com>
Re: Austria
  by "Stephen Best" <stevebest@usadatanet.net>
Re: Austria
  by <RVScara@aol.com>
Re: Austria
  by "Alicia Zeilenga" <azeilenga@theatreorgans.com>
RE: Austria
  by "TheShieling" <TheShieling@xtra.co.nz>
Re: Austria
  by "Alan Freed" <acfreed0904@earthlink.net>
Congratulations!
  by "Alicia Zeilenga" <azeilenga@theatreorgans.com>
Re: Returned email.
  by "TommyLee Whitlock" <tommylee@whitlock.org>
Re: Austria
  by "Harry Grove" <musicman@cottagemusic.co.uk>
RE: Austria
  by "TheShieling" <TheShieling@xtra.co.nz>
Re: Austria
  by "Harry Grove" <musicman@cottagemusic.co.uk>
Sacred Musician or What?
  by <jonkroepel@insightbb.com>
Re: Sacred Musician or What?
  by "Stephen Best" <stevebest@usadatanet.net>
Re: Sacred Musician or What?
  by "Alicia Zeilenga" <azeilenga@theatreorgans.com>
Re: Sacred Musician or What?
  by "Shirley" <pnst.shirley@verizon.net>
Re: Congratulations!
  by "Scott Montgomery" <montre1978@yahoo.com>
Meeting a Predecessor (xpost)
  by <Innkawgneeto@cs.com>
Re: Sacred Musician or What?
  by <TubaMagna@aol.com>
Re: Sacred Musician or What?
  by "John L. Speller" <jlspeller@swbell.net>
Haydn's "Austria," first, then, and now
  by <TubaMagna@aol.com>
Re: Haydn's "Austria," first, then, and now
  by "Alan Freed" <acfreed0904@earthlink.net>
RE: What's missing Competition
  by "David Scambler" <dscambler@bmm.com>
Bach sheet music
  by "Dr. Amy Fleming" <docamy@alltel.net>
 

(back) Subject: Re: Alex and Colin From: "Keith Zimmerman" <kwzimmerman@alltel.net> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:37:05 -0500   Pipechatters,   I guess a lot of us need a little comic relief from time to time - even if it's off topic. If Noel Stoutenburg's message in yesterday's digest is correct, I find this really interesting. He obviously wants and needs = help with his organ.   I would like to make a suggestion for those of us who would like to help = him out and would like to see him be able to get his project going and his questions answered . . .   Send him a private e-mail offering to answer his questions. Perhaps he = will have 20-30 e-mail addresses of folks who have offered to help him. He can send out his questions to this "subgroup" easily via his e-mail program. = He can sort through the answers he gets and the discussion can take place privately. If the collective wisdom of the group is needed, someone can post the question to the whole group.   This will give willing list members and Alex the opportunity to get to = know one another better. Conclusions can be made later. At some point, he can most likely be admitted to the list. Since we have teenagers on this = list, I don't think David and Tim have anything against them.   Happy Lord's Day, Keith      
(back) Subject: Austria From: "Dominic Scullion" <dominicscullion@email.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:31:16 -0000   Good Afternoon All,     Can anyone give me some advice?     Being new to playing the organ in a Catholic Church, I am unsure of = 'parish politics'. I am making the order of Service for next week and am unsure whether it would be appropriate to play a Hymn in an RCChurch to the = Austria tune. This is especially after the Prince Harry fiasco.     Would anyone think this would be inappropriate for a Catholic Church?     Dom      
(back) Subject: Re: Austria From: "Stephen Best" <stevebest@usadatanet.net> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:25:12 -0500   My advice is -- if you've gotten a hint that some people might object, just use another hymn. According to the handbook to the Episcopal, the tune Abbot's Leigh was written as a substitute for Austria in 1941 for the text "Glorious things of thee are spoken" because Austria "was virtually unusuable because of its association with the German national anthem 'Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles.'" I suppose there are some who might still remember that connection, although the Austria tune seems to be in regular use in most denominations at present.   Steve Best in Utica, NY   Dominic Scullion wrote:   >Good Afternoon All, > > > >Can anyone give me some advice? > > > >Being new to playing the organ in a Catholic Church, I am unsure of = 'parish >politics'. I am making the order of Service for next week and am unsure >whether it would be appropriate to play a Hymn in an RCChurch to the = Austria >tune. This is especially after the Prince Harry fiasco. > > > >Would anyone think this would be inappropriate for a Catholic Church? > > > >Dom > >:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: >Note: opinions expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the individual con- >tributors and not necessarily those of the list owners nor of the Uni- >versity at Albany. For a brief summary of list commands, send mail to >listserv@listserv.albany.edu saying GET LSVCMMDS.TXT or see the web >page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html . >:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: > > >      
(back) Subject: Re: Austria From: <RVScara@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:20:32 EST   The tune is in several RC hymnals as "Glorious Things of You Are Spoken.". = I doubt most younger Catholics would relate the melody to Deutschland Uber =   Alles but senior citizens and European immigrants could. Discretion at = this time, as you say, might be the wise thing and choose something else.  
(back) Subject: Re: Austria From: "Alicia Zeilenga" <azeilenga@theatreorgans.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:40:39 -0600   The pastor where I play asked if we could use the tune "Austria" for "Lord You Give the Great Commission" for Confirmation. I wouldn't be too worried about the Prince Harry thing, especially if it's a familiar hymmn in your parish.   Alicia Zeilenga       -----Original Message----- From: "Dominic Scullion" <dominicscullion@email.com> To: <PIPORG-L@listserv.albany.edu>, "PipeChat" <pipechat@pipechat.org> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:31:16 -0000 Subject: Austria   > Good Afternoon All, > > > > Can anyone give me some advice? > > > > Being new to playing the organ in a Catholic Church, I am unsure of > 'parish > politics'. I am making the order of Service for next week and am unsure > whether it would be appropriate to play a Hymn in an RCChurch to the > Austria > tune. This is especially after the Prince Harry fiasco. > > > > Would anyone think this would be inappropriate for a Catholic Church? > > > > Dom > > > >      
(back) Subject: RE: Austria From: "TheShieling" <TheShieling@xtra.co.nz> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:47:40 +1300   >Being new to playing the organ in a Catholic Church, I am unsure of = 'parish politics'. I am making the order of Service for next week and am unsure whether it would be appropriate to play a Hymn in an RCChurch to the = Austria tune. This is especially after the Prince Harry fiasco.   I'm sure the tune would be fine. It's sung all over the world and has no political overtones these days.   Ross (in New Zealand)    
(back) Subject: Re: Austria From: "Alan Freed" <acfreed0904@earthlink.net> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:45:42 +0000   On 1/16/05 6:25 PM, "Stephen Best" <stevebest@usadatanet.net> wrote:   > I suppose there are some who might still remember that connection, = although > the Austria tune seems to be in regular use in most denominations at = present.   I agree, Steve, that it is in regular use. But I think that just about every time it IS used, some (relatively neutral, merely academic) comments are made about it.   Alan  
(back) Subject: Congratulations! From: "Alicia Zeilenga" <azeilenga@theatreorgans.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:46:16 -0600   Congratulations to list member Bernadette Wagner, student of list member Scott Mongomery, on placing first in a competition for young organists sponsored by the Fox Valley AGO chapter yesterday.   Bernadette played Nun bitten Wir by Dietrich Buxtehude and Allegro Maestoso e Vivace from Sonata II by Felix Mendelssohn.   Alicia Zeilenga      
(back) Subject: Re: Returned email. From: "TommyLee Whitlock" <tommylee@whitlock.org> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:06:02 -0500   > Why is the restraint not put on popular music? Sometimes I can hear > cars approaching with the sound of drums before I can see the car. > The sides of the vehicle are positively pulsing with the level of > sound. Surely the occupant, almost always young, is either deaf > already, hence the need for loud sound, or else will be before very > long.   This is an excellent reason to buy stock in companies that produce = hearing- aids. <G>   Back to lurking, TommyLee    
(back) Subject: Re: Austria From: "Harry Grove" <musicman@cottagemusic.co.uk> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:07:35 -0000   Well, Dominic, if you want to 'justify' the tune 'Austria' just look to = the composer. Play voluntaries fore and aft of the service and anthems / introits by the =   same gentleman.   Place the music "in context" and deflect any criticism.   Musically, other tunes are more melodious.   But .........   I would challenge the 'Prince Harry fiasco' statement. Dumb .... presumably, avoidable ..... definitely (particularly when his Press P.A. was previously employed to defuse the weekly stunts/abuse of = the Manager of Manchester United viz (Sir) Alex Ferguson .... but a problem = .... No Way.   What better use for the Swastika symbol than to use it as 'fancy dress', ridiculing it and reducing it to a symbol of mirth and jest. Exactly what should be done.   Why, the 'West End' is 'packing-'em-in' at "The Producers" - fresh to our shores from Broadway. Remember "Springtime for Hitler and Germany, curtains for Poland and = France" ?   Harry Grove [a.k.a. a musicman happy to play any / all music - Psalms, Praise, Blues, Fugues, Improvisations, Atlantic Soul, (Funerals, Weddings, Masonic = Lodges, Bar Mitzvah's undertaken) ....] _______________________   The manner in which Americans ''consume'' music has a lot to do with = leaving it on their coffee tables, or using it as wallpaper for their lifestyles, like the score of a movie --it's consumed that way without any regard for how and why it's made. Frank Zappa _______________________   ----- Original Message ----- From: Dominic Scullion To: PIPORG-L@listserv.albany.edu ; PipeChat Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 5:31 PM Subject: Austria snip I am making the order of Service for next week and am unsure whether it would be appropriate to play a Hymn in an RCChurch to the Austria tune. = This is especially after the Prince Harry fiasco.   Would anyone think this would be inappropriate for a Catholic Church?    
(back) Subject: RE: Austria From: "TheShieling" <TheShieling@xtra.co.nz> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:19:48 +1300     >Subject: Re: Austria >Well, Dominic, if you want to 'justify' the tune 'Austria' just look to = the   composer.   Well said. Haydn was Austrian, not German, and he was also a keen Roman Catholic layman, renowned for his friendly and easy personality, nicknamed "Papa" because everyone loved the man. Tell the people that's how they should think of the tune. Too, the tune is named "Austria" and is the Austrian national anthem, not German in either case.   More importantly still, the hymntune has nothing to do with Nazi politics some two centuries after it was written. You might as well ban the "Tannenbaum" carol because someone, much later, sang "The people's flag is deepest red" to the same tune. :-)   Ross    
(back) Subject: Re: Austria From: "Harry Grove" <musicman@cottagemusic.co.uk> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:33:37 -0000   Ooops, apocalypse; I'd forgotten about that one.   [snip] "You might as well ban the "Tannenbaum" carol because someone, much later, =   sang "The people's flag is deepest red" to the same tune. "   Harry Grove [a.k.a. a musicman who is quite impressed with the efficiency of the Anglican Archbishop of Dublin who has responded to an e-mail this very Sunday afternoon (3 hrs. flat .... Good Man]    
(back) Subject: Sacred Musician or What? From: <jonkroepel@insightbb.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:42:09 +0000   In recent posts, a certain individual has made the claim to be a sacred musician. I guess my question is, how many of you consider yourself to be =   soley a sacred musician, or do you consider yourself to be something else? = I have two degrees in organ performance, and neither I would consider to = have anything to with sacred music as it appears today. Sure, a lot of the = music was composed for the church, but there is a great which was composed for = the concert arena. Because other friends on this list are organ builders, composers, and = concert artists, and since l am just a lurker on this list, I would like to get = to know people and how they refer to themselves. Enjoy this wonderful Winter afternoon. Jon Kroepel  
(back) Subject: Re: Sacred Musician or What? From: "Stephen Best" <stevebest@usadatanet.net> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:01:02 -0500   Back in my college days at Syracuse Univeristy, degrees in "sacred music" were just beginning to appear in other colleges. The philosophy at Syracuse was that if one received first rate training as an organ major and took all the requisite peripheral courses, then one would be able to be a first rate musician in a church. Athough most of my music making takes place in a church, I have never called myself a "sacred musician." I consider myself a musician first, and secondarily one who just happens to practice most of his art in a sacred setting. I teach at a college as well, but have never called myself a "college musician."   Steve Best in Utica, NY   jonkroepel@insightbb.com wrote:   >In recent posts, a certain individual has made the claim to be a sacred >musician. I guess my question is, how many of you consider yourself to = be >soley a sacred musician, or do you consider yourself to be something = else? >I have two degrees in organ performance, and neither I would consider to = have >anything to with sacred music as it appears today. Sure, a lot of the = music >was composed for the church, but there is a great which was composed for = the >concert arena. > >Because other friends on this list are organ builders, composers, and = concert >artists, and since l am just a lurker on this list, I would like to get = to >know people and how they refer to themselves. > > > >      
(back) Subject: Re: Sacred Musician or What? From: "Alicia Zeilenga" <azeilenga@theatreorgans.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:40:25 -0600   Well, Mr, Kroepel, you know what I think ;-)   I am getting my bachelors in organ performance because I really have to get a degree in something ;-) I started taking organ for the sake of playing in church. I have no desire to be a concert organist but I love playing in church. I'm not totally a liturgical musician because I also teach general music and want to teach piano.   Does that help?   Miss Zeilenga ;-) "Santa Caecilia, ora pro nobis"     > > jonkroepel@insightbb.com wrote: > > >In recent posts, a certain individual has made the claim to be a > sacred > >musician. I guess my question is, how many of you consider yourself > to be > >soley a sacred musician, or do you consider yourself to be something > else? > >I have two degrees in organ performance, and neither I would consider > to have > >anything to with sacred music as it appears today. Sure, a lot of the > music > >was composed for the church, but there is a great which was composed > for the > >concert arena. > > > >Because other friends on this list are organ builders, composers, and > concert > >artists, and since l am just a lurker on this list, I would like to > get to > >know people and how they refer to themselves. > > > > > > > > > > > > ****************************************************************** > "Pipe Up and Be Heard!" > PipeChat: A discussion List for pipe/digital organs & related topics > HOMEPAGE : http://www.pipechat.org > List: mailto:pipechat@pipechat.org > Administration: mailto:admin@pipechat.org > List-Subscribe: <mailto:pipechat-on@pipechat.org> > List-Digest: <mailto:pipechat-digest@pipechat.org> > List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:pipechat-off@pipechat.org> >      
(back) Subject: Re: Sacred Musician or What? From: "Shirley" <pnst.shirley@verizon.net> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:51:28 -0500   I consider myself a church musician. I have an undergraduate degree in = Music with a major of Music Ed. and a concentration in piano. I am currently = working on a Master of Arts in Religion at a Lutheran seminary, with a concentration = in Liturgy and Music. One component of it is four semesters of organ lessons, and two =   semesters of conducting the seminary choir.   I am definitely not a concert organist, primarily because I don't have the = chops for it, and because my calling is as a church musician.   --Shirley   On 16 Jan 2005 at 20:42, jonkroepel@insightbb.com expounded:   > In recent posts, a certain individual has made the claim to be a > sacred musician.    
(back) Subject: Re: Congratulations! From: "Scott Montgomery" <montre1978@yahoo.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:58:43 -0800 (PST)   Alicia beat me to it! Crangrats Bernadette!   Alicia Zeilenga <azeilenga@theatreorgans.com> wrote:Congratulations to = list member Bernadette Wagner, student of list member Scott Mongomery, on placing first in a competition for young organists sponsored by the Fox Valley AGO chapter yesterday.   Bernadette played Nun bitten Wir by Dietrich Buxtehude and Allegro Maestoso e Vivace from Sonata II by Felix Mendelssohn.   Alicia Zeilenga       ****************************************************************** "Pipe Up and Be Heard!" PipeChat: A discussion List for pipe/digital organs & related topics HOMEPAGE : http://www.pipechat.org List: mailto:pipechat@pipechat.org Administration: mailto:admin@pipechat.org List-Subscribe: List-Digest: List-Unsubscribe:         Scott Montgomery 619 W Church St Champaign, IL 61820 217-390-0158 www.ScottMontgomeryMusic.net  
(back) Subject: Meeting a Predecessor (xpost) From: <Innkawgneeto@cs.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:58:48 -0500   This morning, January 16, I had the privilege to meet a former = organist/music director of my current Church; he had served from 1950 to = 1958.   Mr. John Ferris (sp?) then went on to a distinguished 30-year tenure as = University Organist at Harvard. He has since retired to the Berkshires = where he conducts a very small parish choir. Parkinsons prevents Mr. = Ferris from playing.   A most gracious and down-to-earth man, he and I chatted quite a while = after morning worship. It was as if we had known each other for a long = time.   Evidently the original organ here was a Moller (with additions); our = current instrument is a 2-manual Hradetsky tracker (thankfully it was in = tune today). A few of our choir members had sung under him (thankfully, = the Choir sang gloriously).   Below is our music list for our worship...I've been remiss in not = submitting it lately. God's best to you all. Now, I'm off to play for a = district (Methodist) MLK Service.   Neil by the Bay   UNITED METHODIST CHURCH Red Bank, New Jersey Rev. Myrna Bethke, Senior Pastor. Neil Brown, Director of Music Ministries.   PRELUDE: Four Hymn Preludes arranged by Alice Jordan. -"The Lord Is My Shepherd". -"Adoration on a Traditional English Melody" (Terra Patris). -"Canonic Variations on DIX". -"Jubilate: Come, Christians, Join to Sing". Proc. Hymn: "Lord, You Have Come to the Lakeshore", PESCADOR DE HOMBRES. Choral Worship: "The Majesty and Glory of Your Name", Tom Fettke. Hymn: "You Are Mine", YOU ARE MINE. Choral Offertory: "Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee", Glenn L. Rudolph. Hymn: "O Day of God, Draw Nigh", ST. MICHAEL. Postlude: Improvisation on "And Can It Be".                      
(back) Subject: Re: Sacred Musician or What? From: <TubaMagna@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:40:20 EST   It may be that the reason nobody uses the term "sacred musician" is = that it doesn't really mean anything. I suppose an angel playing a harp might = be considered a "sacred musician," but when the adjective "sacred" is = modifying the noun "musician," it comes off as a bit silly. "Church musician" seems to be the term most commonly and comfortably = used by those who are applying their talents in churches, either as organists, choir directors, or music directors. Some denominations specify "Minister of Music" as somebody who, even = if not ordained, is in a full-time position at a religious institution that = views music as integral to ministry. This gives an indication that music might = be held in higher regard at such a church than in others.   Sebastian M. Gluck New York City http://www.glucknewyork.com/   ..  
(back) Subject: Re: Sacred Musician or What? From: "John L. Speller" <jlspeller@swbell.net> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:00:16 -0600   I don't think people would normally use the term "sacred musician" to describe a church musician. There are a few colleges these days that = offer a degree called "Master of Sacred Music." The naming of these degrees probably comes from analogy with theology degrees. "Doctor of Divinity" (D.D.) in Latin would be Sacrae Theologiae Doctor (S.T.D.), which might re-translate as Doctor of Sacred Theology. So when looking for a name for = a degree in church music, why not Master of Sacred Music? I think that is = the sort of rationale behind naming these degrees like this. But it is the music that is sacred, not the musician!   John Speller      
(back) Subject: Haydn's "Austria," first, then, and now From: <TubaMagna@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:10:28 EST   It is rumored that on his deathbed, Franz Joseph Haydn stated that the =   tune in quesiton was the most moving one he'd ever written. It is, without =   doubt, gripping and beautiful, and its passionate elegance does not = diminish with repeated hearings. It is one of the sublime melodies handed down to us = over time. Nobody has asked or suggested that "Austria" be struck from the = Hymnal. It is truly bizarre, however, that rage flares when its adoption by = the Nazi party is mentioned as a point of historical concern. When the same = subject was raised several years ago on one of these chat lists, a shameful number = of people (who were very much alive during the Second World War) angrily = flamed that they "should not even be expected to KNOW the association." As a = nation that rewrites, forgets, and consequently repeats horrible aspects of our history, I believe it is our duty to know such things, and acknowledge = them. On a very similar note, I once, in elementary school, played "We = Gather Together" at a family Thanksgiving dinner. Thanksgiving is a major event = for our family, and I had just discovered the hymn in school, and thought that =   "Kremser" was one of the most beautiful tunes I had ever heard. I was only = informed later that the Dutch had their own Nazi Party, had adopted that tune -- = and had sent my entire Uncle's family to concentration camp, through which = they miraculously survived. They themselves did not mention it, but my parents informed me later, and I have not played it again. The "hijacking" of art, and the control of art, has always been a key element in swaying the hearts and minds of vast numbers of people. Beyond = the eleven million people (not all of them Jews) who were murdered, starved, = and incinerated, with no graves to visit, millions more died on the = battlefields. The perversion of Haydn's grand tune does not mean it should be eradicated as well, but it means that we owe it to our future to understand what = happened, and that it has happened, on a smaller scale, several times since. Both the Swastika and the Stars and Stripes have witnessed great = changes in the way they are viewed by the world. A cross can grace a church altar = in the most noble of ways, or it can be set alight on somebody's lawn. The = most beautiful of music can be ripped from the arms of its creator and used for =   terrible purposes. Because symbols, art, and iconography are so powerful, = they not only must be safeguarded, but we must learn the lessons of their abuse.   Sebastian M. Gluck New York City ..  
(back) Subject: Re: Haydn's "Austria," first, then, and now From: "Alan Freed" <acfreed0904@earthlink.net> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:35:15 +0000   Seb, you are fabulous. My poor reply very much in the affirmative cannot = be eloquent, but I CAN MAKE IT LOUD!   Alan       On 1/17/05 12:10 AM, "TubaMagna@aol.com" <TubaMagna@aol.com> wrote:   > It is rumored that on his deathbed, Franz Joseph Haydn stated that the = tune in > quesiton was the most moving one he'd ever written. It is, without = doubt, > gripping and beautiful, and its passionate elegance does not diminish = with > repeated hearings. It is one of the sublime melodies handed down to us = over > time. Nobody has asked or suggested that "Austria" be struck from the = Hymnal. > It is truly bizarre, however, that rage flares when its adoption by the = Nazi > party is mentioned as a point of historical concern. When the same = subject was > raised several years ago on one of these chat lists, a shameful number = of > people (who were very much alive during the Second World War) angrily = flamed > that they "should not even be expected to KNOW the association." As a = nation > that rewrites, forgets, and consequently repeats horrible aspects of our > history, I believe it is our duty to know such things, and acknowledge = them. > On a very similar note, I once, in elementary school, played "We Gather > Together" at a family Thanksgiving dinner. Thanksgiving is a major event = for > our family, and I had just discovered the hymn in school, and thought = that > "Kremser" was one of the most beautiful tunes I had ever heard. I was = only > informed later that the Dutch had their own Nazi Party, had adopted that = tune > -- and had sent my entire Uncle's family to concentration camp, through = which > they miraculously survived. They themselves did not mention it, but my = parents > informed me later, and I have not played it again. The "hijacking" of = art, and > the control of art, has always been a key element in swaying the hearts = and > minds of vast numbers of people. Beyond the eleven million people (not = all of > them Jews) who were murdered, starved, and incinerated, with no graves = to > visit, millions more died on the battlefields. The perversion of Haydn's = grand > tune does not mean it should be eradicated as well, but it means that we = owe > it to our future to understand what happened, and that it has happened, = on a > smaller scale, several times since. Both the Swastika and the Stars and > Stripes have witnessed great changes in the way they are viewed by the = world. > A cross can grace a church altar in the most noble of ways, or it can be = set > alight on somebody's lawn. The most beautiful of music can be ripped = from the > arms of its creator and used for terrible purposes. Because symbols, = art, and > iconography are so powerful, they not only must be safeguarded, but we = must > learn the lessons of their abuse. > > Sebastian M. Gluck > New York City > .    
(back) Subject: RE: What's missing Competition From: "David Scambler" <dscambler@bmm.com> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:09:39 +1100   I give in. What's the punchline?   dave     >"WHAT (stop) IS MISSING ?" > >Yours, quiuzically, > >Harry Grove >[a.k.a. a musicman, too poor to put up a prize]  
(back) Subject: Bach sheet music From: "Dr. Amy Fleming" <docamy@alltel.net> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:32:20 -0600   I thought there was a site with downloadable (free) organ sheet music of the works of JSBach. I have searched but cannot find. My daughter wants = to play "Little Fugue in G Minor". Not that she will be able to play it very well but I think she should at least practice music that she enjoys and = she can only help but get better. Thanks, Amy